Empowering Deaf Society-EDS
EDS is a registered charity, dedicated to improving the quality of life for deaf people.
We are a deaf–led charity and have a strong and diverse team of deaf and hearing professionals who work closely together delivering a variety of services for Deaf people.
Our services are aimed at providing support through information and advice, workshops and events as well as Signature Accredited British Sign Language BSL Courses across Greater London. We also work with local community services and businesses to raise awareness about the Deaf community, focusing on social integration and improving communication and understanding between the two cultures of the deaf and hearing communities.
Importantly the charity also works with the deaf community to maintain and protect its language and culture. Through campaigns and working closely with many professional bodies in several sectors and training many of their staff in deaf awareness and BSL skills EDS strives to ensure that BSL is legally recognised as a language and is adopted onto the National Curriculum. We believe that in doing so the lives of many deaf people will improve, resulting in better access to education and services whilst also building better bridges between the deaf and hearing communities.
‘Inspiring the lives of today for a better world for tomorrow’
Who to contact
- 0208 215 4710
- eds website
What we do:
provide support services such as:-
- Advocacy services
- Information, advice and guidance
- Employment support
- Sign post and referral
- Sight translation support
We also run Signature Accredited BSL Courses:-
- British Sign Language BSL level 1-4
- NVQ level 6
- British Sign Language BSL tutorials 1:1
- British Sign Language BSL in schools
- Deaf awareness training for both communities and corporate businesses
In addition we also run various workshops and events led by professionals
- Health and well being
- Public service information
- Everyday life skills
- Sports and leisure
- Deaf club
- Children’s activities
- Cultural events
Where to go
- EDS offices
2a Central Parade
- IG2 7DE
These are our office details however most events and workshops are held away from the offices so please check our website and/or facebook pages for more details on specific venues , dates and times for events etc.
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- office open Monday - Friday 9am-5pm, book an appointment before coming to the office. Clubs and events dates and time vary. Check our website and facebook page for more information
- Time of day
- Costs for our Signature Accredited BSL Courses can be found by contacting us via email or phone Most of our events, clubs and workshops are free. For those that do require a payment, details will be available on our social media pages.
- Referral required