Skip to main content

Young People's Local Offer - Education

Young people are required by law to stay in some form of education or training until they are 18 years old.

Most children young people with special educational needs and disabilities will be able to attend mainstream schools and educational facilities.

Some children and young people will require a more specialised setting in one of the three special schools in the borough.


How schools meet the needs of children and young people with SEND

All schools have a responsibility to make appropriate support arrangements for all pupils in their school. They must make reasonable adjustments to their offer or setting to ensure pupils aren’t placed at a disadvantage. Where children may be identified as having special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), high quality teaching that is tailored for the individual must be the first step in responding to the pupil’s needs.

All schools are required to publish their annual Special Educational Needs (SEN) Information Report on their website which sets out how they are meeting the needs of children and young people. This must be updated annually.

For more information about the duties placed on schools, read the SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years.

Schools should follow the graduated approach to offer special educational needs and disabilities support. This includes:

  1. Assess
  2. Plan
  3. Do
  4. Review

Read more about the graduated approach or watch the video.

Special educational needs coordinators (SENCO)

Every school is required to have a teacher who is responsible for special educational needs and disabilities, usually referred to as a SENCO.

The coordinator will work closely with parents, teachers, support staff and other agencies to ensure that the pupil’s needs are met through the appropriate support and high quality teaching.

Contact the school to find out who the SENCO is.

Special school applications

In general children requiring a place at one of our special schools will be identified by the setting they attend or via recommendation of an Advisory Teacher or Educational Psychologist. Parents can also make a referral themselves.

All children attending a special school will have an education, health and care plan.

Alternative provision

Havering Council hold and maintain a list of ‘Alternative Education Providers’. All providers contained within the list have been formally ‘Approved’ and are subject to on-going Quality Assurance Monitoring by the Local Authority.  If an alternative education package is required for a pupil, the approved providers would be who the Council would recommend.

The opportunities offered by the providers range from vocational learning covering 24 sectors, academic GCSE provision and accredited personal and social development. If a pupils is vulnerable, at risk of disengaging from education or requires a practical learning option, then the school where the pupils is registered would be the initial contact

If you require further information about the provision that is held on the Approved Provider List you can contact the Councils Alternative Provision Commissioner – Lee Clegg:

t: 01708 431251

m: 0797 353 4224

Primary school applications

To apply for an Infant, Junior or Primary School place go to this link School Admissions


Secondary school applications

To apply for a secondary school place click here School Admissions

Sixth form and college applications

To apply for a place at a sixth form you should contact the sixth form or college directly.

The schools that have sixth forms in Havering are:

  • The Campion School
  • The Coopers’ Company and Coborn School
  • Drapers’ Academy
  • Frances Bardsley Academy for Girls
  • Sacred Heart of Mary Girls' School
  • St Edward’s Church of England School and Sixth Form College

Children without a school place

 If you have moved into the borough of Havering and require a school place for a child who has already started school, you will need to complete the Havering In-Year Common Application Form.

Apply for an in-year school place

Moving schools

If your child already has a school place in the borough, but you want them to transfer to a different school, you should discuss this with the Headteacher / Principle of their current school before making an application. Problems at school can often be sorted out without the need to change schools. 

If a change of school is necessary, you will need to complete the Havering In-Year Common Application Form.

Apply for an in-year school place. If your child has an education, health and care plan and they require an in- year change of school placement should contact the Assessment and Placement Team, Havering.

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services