Skip to main content

Higher education

This page has information on the next steps in education for young people with additional needs and/or disabilities.

Higher and further education

Most young people with special educational needs attend a mainstream college or training provider with other young people of the same age. For disabled young people and those with special educational needs there are specialist courses and opportunities within Havering.

Disability Rights UK have produced guides for anyone with a health condition, learning difficulty or disability thinking about studying in higher or further education starting September 2017.

To read more about Education Guides click here

Higher and further education specialist provisions

Young people aged 16 with special educational needs and disabilities who wish to continue with their education have a number of options available, dependent on their needs. The specialist provisions in Havering include:

Havering College

Havering College offers flexible, individually tailored support. This allows students to develop vital learning and life skills so they can fulfil their absolute potential.

Read about the learning support provided by Havering College.

Read the full list of Foundation Learning Courses and how to apply.

For students with and Educational Health and Care Plan or have previously received additional support at school, contact to talk about your needs.

Ravensbourne School Sixth Form

The sixth form gives every young person a pathway to meet their needs. Young people can take:

  • Personal Progress Entry Level 1
  • Personal and Social Development Entry Level 1 and 2
  • Work right
  • Employability
  • Bespoke Level 1 and 2 functional skills

Find out more on the Ravensbourne School website.

Corbets Tey at the Avelon

Corbets Tey at the Avelon offers a personalised and flexible curriculum to young people aged 16-19. They provide learning that prepares young people for their adult life.

Havering Council are working with Corbets Tey at the Avelon to extend their offer to young people aged over 19 years. This offer should be available from September 2018.

Find out more on the Corbets Tey website.

Financial help with the Disabled Students Allowance

If you’re a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability, you can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You won’t need to repay DSAs.

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, for example a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability-related costs of studying

Apply for Disabled Students Allowance.

Support from Prospects Careers Advice Plus

Prospects Careers Advice Plus in Havering can support young people wishing to find supported internships, apprenticeships and traineeships.

They can:

  • tell you the courses offered in school sixth forms and colleges
  • tell you the support you might get at sixth form or college
  • talk about work-based training, apprenticeships and jobs
  • explore different job areas
  • give details about jobs that are near your home
  • talk about work experience and volunteering opportunities
  • help you write an action plan which will help you decide what to do
  • help you apply to college and/or jobs and apprenticeships
  • contribute to your Education and Health and Care (EHC) plan
  • help you find out about any benefits or other financial support you may be entitled to

For more information, contact Prospects Careers Advice Plus in Havering on 01708 746401.

There is also a video about this on this link

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services