On 8 November 2020, the government announced that the holiday activities and food programme will be expanded across the whole of England in 2021. The programme has provided healthy food and enriching activities to children for children who receive benefits-related free school meals age 5 and upwards or if they are in reception class, age 4.
The programme aims to run locally throughout most areas in Havering and it is aimed to support families on lower income. Children will access a full range of activities and a healthy nutritious meal will be offered.
The funding will aim to support children’s activities for 4 weeks over 4 days over 4 hours.
As a result of this programme, we want children who attend Holiday provision to:
- Eat more healthily over the school holidays.
- Be more active during the school holidays.
- Take part in engaging and enriching activities which support the development of resilience, character, and wellbeing along with their wider educational attainment.
- Be safe and not to be socially isolated.
- Have a greater knowledge of health and nutrition.
- Be more engaged with school and other local services.
Consideration will also be given to those children who are considered by the local authority as vulnerable or in need of this provision.
- Assessed as being in need.
- Looked after children.
- Has an EHC plan (education, health, and care plan)
- Assessed as vulnerable.
- Living in areas of high deprivation
Details on how to apply and providers taking part will be available on this page in the forthcoming weeks, the list of providers participating in the scheme is attached to this page in the Downloads section.