Skip to main content

Welcome to Havering (Ласкаво просимо до Havering) - Information for Ukrainian Refugees

We have pulled together some useful information for Ukrainian refugees that are living in Havering, we have included link to Havering Councils main website on this page too for any other information you may need to know about living in the Borough.

If you need to translate this information at the top right of this page you will find 'select language' where any of this information can be changed to your chosen language.

Ми зібрали деяку корисну інформацію для українських біженців, які проживають в Гаверінгу, ми включили посилання на головний веб-сайт Havering Councils на цій сторінці, щоб отримати будь-яку іншу необхідну вам інформацію про життя в районі.

Якщо вам потрібно перекласти цю інформацію у верхньому правому куті сторінки, ви знайдете «перекладач google», де будь-яку інформацію можна змінити на вибрану мову.

Charities and Advice

British Red Cross

British Red Cross supports refugees, providing emergency provisions for those facing severe hardship to giving orientation support and friendly advice to the most vulnerable.

Telephone: 0808 196 3651   Email:

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army provides support and advice to refugees and asylum seekers and specialist support to victims of modern slavery.

Telephone: 0800 808 3733



Citizens Advice

Getting advice on issues including benefits, employment, immigration, debt and legal advice from your local Citizens Advice.

They also offer a Help to Claim scheme that can support people to apply for benefits. Telephone: 03444 111 444


Finances and benefits

Universal Credit Ukrainian nationals can access Universal Credit as soon as they arrive in the UK.

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living costs. Please visit the website below at

If you have questions about how Universal Credit works you can call

0800 328 5644 to speak to Universal Credit Full Service.

0800 144 8444 to speak to Citizens Advice Help to Claim.

Help with Food

Food banks can provide you with free food and other essential items. Visit Trussell Trust to find a local food bank please visit

Food Bank Vouchers

The food banks work with frontline care agencies that identify people in crisis and issue them with a food bank voucher.

There are three food banks in the borough.

Collier Row food bank​

Harold Hill food bank​-

Rainham food

The Food Pantry

The link below allows anyone to sign up to become a member. Which will enable them to be able to access the Community Food Shop at the Harold Hill Community Hub on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 1pm-4.30pm. Please visit the link listed below.

Medical Help

Registering with a GP Ukrainian arrivals can receive emergency treatment from a GP surgery for 14 days. After that, they will need to register with their local General Practitioner by visiting the link below;

Getting a Prescription

Ukrainian nationals will need to visit their new GP to get a prescription.

They should then take their prescription to a pharmacy or chemist to receive the medication. They may need to pay for prescription medicines. Pharmacists can give free advice on treating minor health problems, such as colds and coughs. You can find your local pharmacy at

Health advice

By calling 111 Get free health advice from the NHS by phoning 111 or visit: there is also an interpreter service available if you require one.

Maternity care and Midwifery services

A GP can arrange appointments with maternity and midwifery services. 

Ukrainian nationals can register with a dentist as either an NHS patient or a private patient.

Find a dentist at: if you are receiving Universal Credit, you should let the practice know and register as an NHS patient.

Check-ups and necessary treatments will be free.

Applying for a school place and childcare

Ukrainian nationals can apply for a school place for a child as soon as they arrive. Starting school can help children settle in and make friends.

You can apply for the child to start in the new school year in September or in the middle of the school year.

Applications forms and admissions information can be found at the following Website;

Register your child

You can now register your child at your local Children Centres by clicking on the link below. The Children’s Centres provide a variety of information, advice and support, we have a web page and a Facebook page

Children's Centres Registration Form - London Borough of Havering Council - Citizen Space

Early Years, Childcare Funding

2 Year Old Funding (15 hour offer)

How to apply

Families with two year olds are eligible for up to 15 hours a week term time only or 10/11 hours a week over a year of early education and childcare.

Children eligible can be funded from the term after your child’s second birthday.

2 Year old funding application form can be accessed                

3-4 Year old Funding (15 hour Universal and 30 hours extended offer)

The Universal Early Years offer is available to all 3 and 4 year olds. Offer up to 15 hours funding a week during term time, or up to 10/11 hours of funding a week as a stretched offer. Go to for more information and Childcare Choices for more information about how to pay for childcare

Free school meals

Children in reception, Year 1 and Year 2 automatically get free school meals. Children in Year 3 or above may be eligible for free school meals. This includes if their parent is receiving Universal Credit. For more information and to apply for free school meals please visit

No RRC Free school meals - Customer details - Section 1 - Havering Online Forms (

Ukrainian nationals will be able to get advice and support to find childcare from our Family Information Service. Further information can be found on the link below.



Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services