The Specialist Assistant aims to give the fullest access possible to the curriculum through IT and other reasonable adjustments in the classroom. This is done by using existing resources and/ or specialist equipment.
The Specialist Assistant:
- Supports children and young people in school to access the curriculum via technology
- Supports families in their understanding of appropriate IT for their children
- Works with health services, mostly Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy, to develop solutions to challenges for children and young people
- Works with Assistive and Augmentative Communication (AAC) to give children a ‘voice’.
- Promotes the engagement of children and young people in community projects.
- Offers training for software and hardware to schools, families and health services.