Skip to main content

Education Psychology Service

Who are Educational Psychologists (EPs)?

Educational Psychologists all have an honours degree in psychology, significant experience of working with children/young people and have undertaken further professional training in Psychology to Masters or Doctorate level. All EPs have enhanced DBS clearance and are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.

The EPs apply models of psychology that are evidence-informed and promote positive change.  Psychological involvement is based on our knowledge of child development including learning, language, behaviour and the promotion of social skills and emotional wellbeing

Who do we work with?

  • EPs work collaboratively with education settings (including pre-schools, schools and colleges) and families to support children and young people aged 0-25. We can support with a broad range of needs including:

    -     Learning

    -     Behaviour

    -     Communication

    -     Relationships with others

    -     Sensory and physical difficulties

    -     Social and emotional development

When do EPs get involved?

  • Each school and college has a link EP. Where parents/carers have concerns about the development of their child they need to contact the education setting and discuss ways forward with the Special Educational Needs lead e.g. SENCo, Inclusion Manager.  If, despite this, there are continuing concerns, the school may seek your permission to involve the EP as part of a Graduated Approach to special educational needs as prescribed by the Code of Practice.  You will be asked to sign a consent form.

What will happen next?

  • The EP will meet with a key member of staff e.g. SENCo, Class Teacher, Teaching Assistant to hear their concerns and discuss ideas and strategies which might help.  Depending on the need, the EP may have a meeting with you and/or with your child, or the EP may continue to work with staff members.

    Where further involvement is needed the EP may collect information regarding children in a variety of ways.  For instance, they might:-

    • Observe them in the classroom or playground
    • Talk to key staff working with the child/young person about what happens in the classroom
    • Ask the child/young person for their views about school
    • Ask those involved about the child’s strengths and difficulties
    • Ask those involved about what’s working and not working e.g. what has been tried in school
    • Where appropriate gather information from other professionals involved, e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Paediatrician.
    • Speak with parents.

    The most important information about your child’s needs will come from yourselves and the education setting as the people who know the child best.   Sometimes, however, it may be useful for the EP to use specially designed tasks, activities and tests to help understand your child’s needs more clearly, and give recommendations for support.

    Most children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities can have their needs met through their local mainstream education setting. If a higher level of support is required, education settings and parents/carers can apply for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). EPs have a statutory duty to provide advice as part of this assessment process.

Other services offered

  • Strategic work with the local authority e.g. school improvement, policy development, development of specialist provisions

  • Critical Incidents Support
  • Training for education settings and parents/carers

Referral process

  • Pre-school children (CAD 0-5)

    Please refer to the CAD 0-5 local offer. 

    School age Children (CAD 5-19)

    We believe that the most effective way of helping children is through working collaboratively with parents/carers and schools.  

    Every Havering maintained school has a link EP who makes regular visits. Where parents/carers concerns about their child’s learning or development they should discuss with the SEN lead in school. Where the school is concerned about a child, they may choose to involve the EP (with parental permission).

    Parents/carers may contact the CAD 5-19 Service directly by telephone to ask for general advice.

Post 16

Every Havering Post 16 provision/setting has a link EP. Where parents/carers are concerned they should discuss these concerns with the SEN lead. Where the setting is concerned about a young person, they may choose to involve the EP (with permission).

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services