Skip to main content


Please see the advice and guidance sections below for information about transport for children and young people with disabilities to and from school or college.


Travel Assistance to School or College

We provide assistance and support to eligible children and young people with special education needs and disabilities travelling between home and school/college.

Assistance may be given by:

  • the allocation of a seat on a vehicle
  • travel training
  • reimbursement of travel expenses, fuel or an oyster card


Eligibility is assessed by:

  • distance
  • safety of the route
  • low income
  • mobility needs

Transport on the ground of distance


Transport may be provided if the child attends the nearest suitable school which is:

  • beyond 2 miles walking distance if aged between of 5 and 8
  • beyond 3 miles walking distance if aged between 8 and 16

The nearest suitable school is the school nearest to the home address that the local authority has deemed can meet the child’s needs. If parents choose another school they are not eligible for transport.

Transport on the grounds of safety

Safety refers to the walking nature of the route for the child when accompanied by a suitable adult. For example assistance may be provided because of:

  • lack of pavements
  • lack of street lighting
  • lack of safe road crossing points
  • the speed of traffic

Transport on the grounds of low income

Low income is assessed on the basis of the pupil receiving free school meals or whose parents are in receipt of maximum Working Tax Credit if:

  • the nearest suitable qualifying school is beyond 2 miles if aged between 8 and 11
  • the school is between 2 and 6 miles if aged between 11-16 and there are not three or more suitable nearer schools
  • the school is between 2 and 15 miles and is the nearest school preferred because of religion or belief if aged 11-16

Transport on the grounds of mobility

Assistance may be provided because of mobility problems if it is considered that the child cannot be reasonably expected to walk to school because of their mobility problems or because of associated health issues related to their special educational needs or disability.

Assistance in future years

Continuing assistance with home to school transport cannot be guaranteed in future years. Transport is reviewed on an annual basis.

Make an application

Apply for 2017-18 school travel assistance from Havering Council.

Applications submitted take a minimum of 2 weeks to process.

Before applying for travel assistance you must read the full criteria given in the policy document. (see download section on the main page)

If a parent or carer is dissatisfied with the outcome of the application there is an appeals process outlined in the policy.

Freedom Pass

This travel card allows free travel across London and on buses nationwide for disabled people.

The application will ask you to upload copies of various documents but you will also need to bring in the originals for inspection at the PASC.

Apply for a disabled person’s Freedom Pass.

Lost, stolen or damaged Freedom Pass

If your Freedom Pass has been lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to report this to the London Council.

There is a £10 charge for replacing a card.

To report a stolen card, you will need a crime reference number.

Report a lost, stolen or damaged Freedom Pass on the London Councils' website

Transport and mobility equipment from Motability

The Motability Scheme provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance. The Scheme is operated by Motability Operations Ltd, under contract to Motability, a registered Charity.

Find out more on the Motability website.

Taxi Card Scheme

The Taxicard scheme allows people with disabilities to use black cabs at reduced fares. To apply, you must be unable to use public transport because of a permanent disability. ​

The Taxicard scheme provides transport for those who are chronically disabled so they can make social trips out. It cannot be used to provide transport for hospital or clinic appointments.

Who is eligible​?

To join the scheme you must: 

  • be able to use ordinary black taxis 
  • have access to a telephone or have internet access (to book taxis) 
  • be resident in one of the participating London boroughs

To be eligible, you must have one of the following.

  • receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living allowance
  • receive 8 points or more for the moving around activity component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment)
  • be registered severely sight impaired / blind
  • receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement

If you do not have any of the above, but have significant difficulties, you can still apply for the Taxicard, but your application form will be assessed by us to check the eligibility. The scheme is not available to people who suffer from temporary disabilities such as a broken leg.

For further information on eligibility visit the London Taxicard scheme website.

Apply for a Taxi Card

To make an application, you must:

If you already have a Freedom Pass

You can surrender your Freedom Pass and use the Taxicard only for 104 trips a year or keep your Freedom Pass and get a maximum of 36 Taxicard trips

Oyster Photocards from TfL

Transport for London (TfL) provides free or discounted travel on London’s buses, tubes, DLR, Overground and National Rail services for children and young people aged 5-16, students over the age of 16 and apprentices over the age of 18 via an Oyster photocard. You have to be a resident in a London Borough to qualify for free travel via an Oyster photocard.

Apply for an Oyster photocard via the TfL website.

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme helps you to park closer to your destination if you're disabled. Sometimes known as disabled parking permits, it can be used throughout the UK and while travelling abroad within the European Union (EU) and in some other European countries.

How to apply

  1. Before applying for or renewing a Blue Badge please read the guidance notes.

Read the Blue Badge guidance notes.

Please note if you are renewing, please apply 6-8 weeks prior to your existing badge expiring to make sure your new badge reaches you in time if approved.

  1. Click on the link to 'Apply for or renew a Blue Badge' below to be taken to the GOV.UK website.
  2. Make a note of the things you'll need before applying from the list on the GOV.UK page.
  3. Click on the green 'Start now' button.
  4. You'll be asked to check your eligibility and answer questions about your disability as you fill in the application form.
  5. Once filled in your details will be sent to us to process.
  6. You will be asked to send us all the documents stated in your application within 14 days of filling in the form. Please note your application will not be completed until we have received your certified copy documents which you can either email to or post to: Blue Badges, Town Hall, Main Road, Romford RM1 3BB
  7. You will also get a tracking code sent to you so you can see the progress of your application. Go to the GOV.UK tracking page to enter your code to track your application.
  8. Once we have your documents we will make contact with you about the next steps to take including payment.

Apply for or renew a Blue Badge.

Using your Blue Badge

For full details about the rules and responsibilities of Blue Badge holders, including displaying your badge and details about where you can park, please read our rights and responsibilities leaflet.

Lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badge

If your existing blue badge has either been lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to apply online for a replacement blue badge.

Replace a lost or stolen Blue Badge.

Need to change your Blue Badge details?

You can report a change of name, address, contact details or any other details relating to information held by your local authority in relation to you or the badge that has been issued to you.

Change details on a Blue Badge.

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services