Skip to main content



Although the deadline date for the travel assistance application was Friday 27 May 2022, we are still accepting in-year applications, which can be submitted anytime during the year. 

Please note that applications submitted very late may cause a delay to the assessment and processing of such applications. 

As a result we cannot guarantee that transport arrangements will be in place at the start of 2022/23 academic year for late applications.

We therefore encourage all parents and guardians to continue to submit your travel assistance application as soon as possible.

Students who currently receive Havering travel assistance and have had no significant changes in their circumstances can complete our renewal form below.

Significant changes include things such as:

  • change of school
  • change of home address
  • change of healthcare needs

Students who have not applied before and meet the eligibility criteria must complete the apply for travel assistance form below.

Students who have applied before but have reported changes in their circumstances must also complete the apply for travel assistance form below.

If you have any questions about the application forms, eligibility, or to update your personal information please email

The 2022/23 Havering transport policy has also been launched and you can access this here -

Travel Assistance to School or College

Home to school travel assistance update

Update following the consultation

In January 2020, the Council held a public consultation on its home to school travel assistance policy for the September 2020-21 academic year. The Council would like to thank all residents and partners who took the time to engage and share their views.

Due to the impact of the COVID-19 virus, the Council has taken the decision to postpone further collaboration with residents on the outcome of the consultation and any implementation of a new policy. This will enable the Council more time to work with its residents on the feedback it received during the consultation and reduce pressures on both families and the Council during this unprecedented period.

Arrangements for travel assistance in the September 2020-21 academic year

What to do if you already had travel assistance and still need this when your child goes back to school in the September 2020-21 academic year

If you previously received travel assistance from the Council in the recent academic year and still require this for the next academic year, you will not need to complete an application form unless:

  • Your child has changed schools
  • Your child has changed home address
  • You need to report a major change in the child’s needs e.g. a new allergy

This means that if you had travel assistance previously, you will automatically be enrolled to continue these arrangements for the September 2020-21 academic year.

This is a temporary process to help reduce the pressure on families and to provide a level of certainty at this time.

What to do if you need to make a new application for travel assistance

If you have not had travel assistance in the recent academic year and would like to request this service new, you will need to submit an application online at:

Your application will be assessed against the Home to School Travel Assistance Policy 2019-2021.

What safety arrangements are in place on Council buses?

The Council has worked to ensure it meets all government regulations on its Council buses to ensure the safety of students and staff at this time. This means that additional actions are in place on all Council buses, including:

  • All drivers and passengers assistants are wearing the required personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times
  • Social distancing measures of 2 metres applies to all buses, which means less students are travelling on each bus
  • All buses have hand sanitising stations fitted to them and staff are required to wash their hands before and after starting a route
  • The bus interiors are wiped down after every route
  • All buses are deep cleaned weekly
  • All buses have safety signage regarding the wearing of PPE
  • All staff have been trained on effectively using PPE in light of current government regulations

What if I want to take my child to school instead?

Fuel reimbursement remains available as an option that families can take up if it works for them. If families consider this arrangement to be safer and more appropriate at this time, you can request a change in arrangement to fuel reimbursement by emailing

The Council would like to stress that taking up fuel reimbursement at this time will not compromise future access to a Council bus or taxi, as we recognise there could be a number of reasons why fuel reimbursement may be suitable now but not in the future.

If you previously received fuel reimbursement to take your child to school this will continue automatically and there is no need to re-apply for this service when your child starts attending school.

What if my child was due to undertake the independent travel training programme?

Like many services, the independent travel training programme was put on hold at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. If your child was due to undertake the programme, or had started the programme, we will work with individuals on next steps when suitable in the future as per government advice. No students will lose their place on the programme due to the pandemic, however suitability on an individual level to resume the programme will be considered case by case at the right time. The travel assistance service students’ received while waiting for their programme to start, such as a Council bus, will continue for the foreseeable future, unless individually stated otherwise.

Transport and mobility equipment from Motability

The Motability Scheme provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance. The Scheme is operated by Motability Operations Ltd, under contract to Motability, a registered Charity.

Find out more on the Motability website.

Taxi Card Scheme

The Taxicard scheme allows people with disabilities to use black cabs at reduced fares. To apply, you must be unable to use public transport because of a permanent disability. ​

The Taxicard scheme provides transport for those who are chronically disabled so they can make social trips out. It cannot be used to provide transport for hospital or clinic appointments.

Who is eligible​?

To join the scheme you must: 

  • be able to use ordinary black taxis 
  • have access to a telephone or have internet access (to book taxis) 
  • be resident in one of the participating London boroughs

To be eligible, you must have one of the following.

  • receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living allowance
  • receive 8 points or more for the moving around activity component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment)
  • be registered severely sight impaired / blind
  • receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement

If you do not have any of the above, but have significant difficulties, you can still apply for the Taxicard, but your application form will be assessed by us to check the eligibility. The scheme is not available to people who suffer from temporary disabilities such as a broken leg.

For further information on eligibility visit the London Taxicard scheme website.

Apply for a Taxi Card

To make an application, you must:

If you already have a Freedom Pass

You can surrender your Freedom Pass and use the Taxicard only for 104 trips a year or keep your Freedom Pass and get a maximum of 36 Taxicard trips

Oyster Photocards from TfL

Transport for London (TfL) provides free or discounted travel on London’s buses, tubes, DLR, Overground and National Rail services for children and young people aged 5-16, students over the age of 16 and apprentices over the age of 18 via an Oyster photocard. You have to be a resident in a London Borough to qualify for free travel via an Oyster photocard.

Apply for an Oyster photocard via the TfL website.

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme helps you to park closer to your destination if you're disabled. Sometimes known as disabled parking permits, it can be used throughout the UK and while travelling abroad within the European Union (EU) and in some other European countries.

How to apply

  1. Before applying for or renewing a Blue Badge please read the guidance notes.

Read the Blue Badge guidance notes.

Please note if you are renewing, please apply 6-8 weeks prior to your existing badge expiring to make sure your new badge reaches you in time if approved.

  1. Click on the link to 'Apply for or renew a Blue Badge' below to be taken to the GOV.UK website.
  2. Make a note of the things you'll need before applying from the list on the GOV.UK page.
  3. Click on the green 'Start now' button.
  4. You'll be asked to check your eligibility and answer questions about your disability as you fill in the application form.
  5. Once filled in your details will be sent to us to process.
  6. You will be asked to send us all the documents stated in your application within 14 days of filling in the form. Please note your application will not be completed until we have received your certified copy documents which you can either email to or post to: Blue Badges, Town Hall, Main Road, Romford RM1 3BB
  7. You will also get a tracking code sent to you so you can see the progress of your application. Go to the GOV.UK tracking page to enter your code to track your application.
  8. Once we have your documents we will make contact with you about the next steps to take including payment.

Apply for or renew a Blue Badge.

Using your Blue Badge

For full details about the rules and responsibilities of Blue Badge holders, including displaying your badge and details about where you can park, please read our rights and responsibilities leaflet.

Lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badge

If your existing blue badge has either been lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to apply online for a replacement blue badge.

Replace a lost or stolen Blue Badge.

Need to change your Blue Badge details?

You can report a change of name, address, contact details or any other details relating to information held by your local authority in relation to you or the badge that has been issued to you.

Change details on a Blue Badge.

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services