What is the Independent Visitor Service?
The Havering Independent Visitor Service will give every child and young person in care the offer of a regular befriender to provide consistent support, to listen to their thoughts and feelings, and to take part in a range of activities/trips together.
Independent Visitors are matched with a child or young person and meet with them every two-three weeks, for a period of up to 18 months.
When and where:
- Meetings out in the community, at a time and place to suit volunteers and young people. Each meeting will last around two hours but may be longer.
- Havering looked after children are not always placed in the Borough, so further travel may be required
How do I become an Independent Visitor?
- Please complete the volunteer registration form attached to this page and email it to email@example.com
- The Early Help Service Volunteer Co-ordinator will invite you to an informal meeting to discuss the role in more detail
- If the role is right for you, you will be told about the next training dates. Please note that we only accept volunteers once we have observed them during training, and carried out reference and an Enhanced DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) checks.
What do we ask for?
- We don’t ask for any qualifications, just a commitment to and passion for providing the best service for children, young people and families in Havering
- Willing to attend the training and take part in the necessary checks
- Confident and flexible approach
- Experience of working with children or young people, in any capacity