Skip to main content

Education, Employment and Training

In Havering, we have great aspirations for the children and young people we care for. We want you to achieve your full potential, so if you require support with education, employment or training courses you will be eligible for the following support as provided by the Virtual School and Leaving Care Service.

Zip Card
If you are 16 and 17 years old and are travelling around London you can get a 16+ Zip Oyster photo card. If you are now 16, but were 15 on 31 August, you can still apply for and use an 11-15 Zip Oyster photo card. If you live in a London borough and were 18 on 31 August and in full-time education, you can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photo card to get free travel on buses and trams.
For more information please visit the transport for London website (
Education Bursary (16-19 year olds)
A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like clothing, books and other equipment for your course. It can also include cost towards transport and lunch on days you study or train.
If you are a care leaver in education or training you will receive £1,200 per year. This bursary is available in all Colleges and some training providers. The bursary will be managed by the provider. In order to access this bursary, you will need to get a form from your chosen College and complete it as soon as possible. You will need a letter of proof of your care status from your Social Worker or Leaving Care Worker. You will need a bank account for the money to be paid into, however, if you do not have a bank account we will help you to consider alternatives.
If you make a late application for the bursary it might not be back dated. It is best to apply as soon as possible.

For more information please speak with your Social Worker, Havering Virtual School or visit

Going to College
Your allocated worker will keep in touch with you and review your Pathway Plan to ensure you are getting the support you need. You may be provided with assistance with some expenses for education, training and employment if needed. In some circumstances, we may be able to make a contribution towards course workbooks, field trips, special equipment or materials, or clothing for work experience.
Going to University

In Havering, we want to support any young person thinking of going to University. We will provide you with a bursary of £2,000 a year while you are studying. For some people it will be best to pay the bursary in smaller amounts over the year. This includes, if needed, an advance to pay for your rent upfront. You will also get another grant while you are at University but this doesn’t affect the amount of money you will get from the Council.

Student Funding Overview
There are a variety of additional funding options that you should consider for financial support, including part-time employment.
The majority of eligible students use a Student Finance Tuition Fee Loan to cover costs. This loan is paid directly to the University from Student Finance.
A Maintenance Loan from Student Finance is there to help with living costs and is available to UK undergraduates. The maximum amount available for students not living at home starting in 2019/20 is £11,672. This loan is ‘means tested’. Everyone can get the basic amount (£5,812), then the lower your household income below £69,860, the larger the loan given to you. Unlike the tuition fee loan, the maintenance loan is paid directly to you in three termly instalments.
Other student finance funding available:

-Care Leaver Bursary (£1,000 per year)
-Adult Dependents’ Grant (up to £2,925)
-Childcare Grant (based on 85% of actual childcare costs, subject to a maximum grant of £164.70 per week for 1 child or £282.36 per week for 2 or more children) -Parents’ Learning Allowance (up to £1,669)

Support after University
We are committed to providing you with support, guidance and advice up until your 25th birthday for information around education, employment or training. However, after the completion of your university course, in the event that you do not have paid work, you will be expected to cl

aim benefits, unless you are considering going on to a post graduate course.
In the event that you do go on to complete a post graduate course, we will offer you guidance, advice and support to help identify financial support for you to continue your education and will advise you how to access this. Please note that we are not able to pay your fees or living expenses.

Support for parents with childcare costs
We understand that sometimes child care costs can be a barrier to you seeking employment or training. If you would like to access employment or education you should find out what child care support is on offer from your local Children’s Centre, your employer, Department of Work and Pensions (Job Centre Plus), training provider, College or University.

2 Year Old Funding (15 Hour Offer) Some parents of two year olds can get 15 hours a week of free early education and childcare. To access the 15 hours you must be getting benefits and earn an income below a certain level. You are also entitled if your child had diagnosed special educational needs and/or a disability.
3 and 4 year old funding All 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to a minimum of 15 hours a week early education and childcare. This is extended to 30 hours a week for working parents.

Information on all the childcare options, and how to apply for nursery or pre-school places can be found on the Havering Family Information Service website or you can email

Support if detained in Youth Offending Institute and Prison
Care Leavers that are detained in prison or young offenders Institutions will continue to receive a service from the Leaving Care Service. Your allocated worker will maintain contact with you, by letter and will visit you once per month.
Your allocated worker will want to keep in touch with you and will want to continue your Pathway Plan, including holding regular reviews of the Pathway Plan. Before you are due to be released we will assist with making arrangements with you and the prison, that clarifies what will happen upon your release, where you will live and what assistance we will offer you.

Routes to education, employment or training
In Havering, we pride ourselves in creating opportunities for our care experienced young adults. This involves working closely with you to help identify your needs and what educational courses, employment or training opportunities you might wish to embark on. These will be written in partnership with you in your Pathway Plan. Information on all the options open to you is available in The Cocoon and the Job Centre Plus Work Coach can advise you on training and/or employment opportunities.

The Havering Apprenticeship Programme
The Havering Apprenticeship Programme offers an opportunity to start an exciting new career, whether it is your first job, returning to work after a career break, or a change in career direction.

Apprenticeships at Havering may include, Business Administration, Social Care, Accounting, ICT, and Planning. All available apprenticeships are advertised on the jobs page on the Havering website. From the job page you are able to register for job alerts so you are aware as soon as apprenticeship opportunities are advertised.
Applications for apprenticeships can only be made via this process. If you have an enquiry about Havering Apprenticeships the HR Learning and Organisational Development Team can be contacted at

Havering Works
Havering Works is an innovative Employment and Skills service, provided by London Borough of Havering and part funded by the European Social Fund. It offers free support for local residents over 19+ looking to get back to work or to explore future career opportunities.
We can offer help if you are living in Havering and are;
-unemployed and looking to start work or training
-working but want to improve your prospects or even change careers
-interested in talking through career options
-starting out in or returning to the job market.
Our services include, confidential one-to-one assessment of your skills and training development needs; guidance from a qualified personal mentor to help you develop an Action Plan with steps towards achieving your work/training/Further or Higher Education aims; job coaching and mentoring; bespoke employer-led training like sector based training and work experience opportunities; information on specialist agencies and other provision that offers additional and/or more specialist support; matching your transferable skills and experience to the job vacancies; job search support and CV review; help with job applications and interview preparation; and support once you are in work.
To find out more speak to your allocated worker or our Pathway Coordinator who leads on employment and training.

The STC Group
The STC Group is a multi-award winning training and employment company based in Essex, catering for young people and adults looking for further education training throughout London and the South East.
Our range of vocational training courses range from construction training including painting and decorating, tiling and bricklaying through to health and beauty, social care and professional services including business, admin and finance.
More than just a training provider, we offer comprehensive support from embarking upon your chosen training course to successfully finding a job or setting up as self-employed in your chosen field. Not only are our fully qualified and experienced trainers on hand to give you advice about working in your chosen field, but our specialist recruitment services can help you find a job or set yourself up as self-employed.
Our courses integrate functional skills including English, maths and ICT skills, and our employability courses can help enhance your communication, team working, CV writing and other skills which are considered highly valuable by employers. The STC group is best placed to help you kick start your career.
Our courses are open to anybody aged over 16 years old, so whether you are considering sixth form or college or are an adult looking to enhance your skills, gain qualifications or change your career path, STC has something for you.
To find out more speak to your allocated worker, the Virtual School or go to

DABD 16-24 NEET programme
DABD is an organisation based in Dagenham that works to provide services that give people opportunities to achieve what they want in life.
When you sign-up for one of their programmes, you’ll be given a dedicated adviser who will talk to you about your individual needs, goals and skills. They will then work with you to build your confidence and help you get to grips with essential skills such as CV writing, interview techniques and completing job applications as well as supporting you with training, job searches and work placements.
You may also be able to gain recognised qualifications such as Maths, English, ICT and Employability skills which can help you gain the skills and confidence to prepare you for the world of work. Once you have found a job or training opportunity, they will continue to support you. To find out more speak to your allocated worker, the Virtual School or the Leaving Care Service or go to
Havering College Apprenticeship
Havering College offers a strong range of Apprenticeships in a wide variety of sectors. Once the right job comes up, you can simply register on the website and follow the step by step instructions to apply for the role.
For more information you can call them on 01708 462787 or email

National Career Service (NCS)
Everyone has the ability and potential to develop and grow in their life and career but sometimes things can get in the way and could hold you back. The National Career Service aims to;
-help you plan your career
-support you to review your skills and develop new goals
-motivate you to implement you plan of action
-enable you to make the best use of high quality career related tools.

For more information you can call them on 0800 100 900 or visit their website

For more information please clcik on this link for the Leaving Care Local Offer EBook
Did you know?

The Department for Work and Pensions can help with costs towards travel and clothing for job interviews.
Ask your worker for more information

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services