Fruit and vegetables that are cooked into any kind of dish count towards your 5 A Day. This means that some of your favourite meals can help you get your five portions.
To get started, why not try our healthy fajita recipe?
Fajita fiesta with 5 A Day
This meal is ideal for entertaining friends and doesn't need much preparation. Serve with a salad, and a tomato salsa if you want some added flavour.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
5 A Day portions per serving: 2
For the fajitas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 red, 1 green and 1 yellow pepper (chopped)
- handful of mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 packet of fajita spice mix
- 8 soft flour tortillas
- tomato salsa (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion and chicken. Fry for around three minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms and stir. Cook until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the fajita spice mix. Continue to fry on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare a mixed salad of tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce leaves.
- Warm the tortillas in a preheated oven for 3 minutes or in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Serve the fajitas with the salad, and a tomato salsa if you like.
(V): For a vegetarian version, simply replace the chicken with a tin of kidney beans, drained (choose those canned in water with no added salt or sugar).
Some carrot sticks with lower-fat houmous or guacamole make a great starter.
Use any leftover fajita filling in a sandwich or baked potato.
More 5 A Day recipes
For lots of healthy 5 A Day recipes, download our Fuel for Life leaflet (PDF, 607kb).
Got a question about 5 A Day?
Article provided by NHS Choices