The Visual Impairment service provides for children and young people with medical diagnoses of visual impairment. As well as those with SS or SSI Registrations and children with no diagnosis but who have deteriorating eye conditions which cannot be corrected with glasses.
The qualified Teacher for the Visually Impaired:
- Offers advice, support, and training to families and educational settings to enable children and young people with VI to access all areas of the curriculum
- Assesses functional vision and needs and offers advice for
- EHCP assessments
- the use of Specialist ICT
- Supports direct teaching of specialist skills including Habilitation and Braille.
- Contributes to audits of educational settings so reasonable adjustments can be made.
- Uses the NATSIP eligibility criteria to guide decision making for support of individual children and young people with VI.