Skip to main content


Home to School Travel Assistance Update (September 2023)

Although the deadline date for the travel assistance application was Friday 26 May 2023, we are still accepting in-year applications, which can be submitted anytime during the year.

Please note that late applications may cause delay to the assessment and processing of such applications. Also, please be aware that transport arrangement for late applications and in-year applications may take up to 4 weeks to process.

We therefore encourage all parents and guardians to continue to submit your travel assistance application as soon as possible.

Students who currently receive Havering travel assistance and have had no significant changes in their circumstances can complete our renewal form below.

Significant changes include things such as:

  • change of school
  • change of home address
  • change of healthcare needs

Students who have not applied before and meet the eligibility criteria must complete the apply for travel assistance form on the application page.

Students who have applied before but have reported changes in their circumstances must also complete the apply for travel assistance form.

The 2023/24 Havering transport policy can be accessed here -

Should you have any questions relating to the travel assistance application and eligibility, or to update your personal information, please email

Personal Transport Budget

Personal Transport Budget

Havering Council is expanding the existing fuel reimbursement option for travel assistance to include reimbursements for some of the other costs of private travel arrangements that parents/guardians have to make to ensure that their children attend school. This option used to be known as fuel reimbursement and it is limited to students with access to a family car and available driver. Personal Transport budget will be approved for students of all ages who meet eligible criteria for home to school transport services, and would like to make private transport arrangement that suits their family circumstances.

What is Personal Transport Budget?

The Personal Transport Budget is a form of travel assistance that provide students and their families the flexibility and independence to make their own home to school private travel arrangements. This option of Havering travel assistance will support students to maximise the use of other resources and existing support within their community, instead of relying on transport arrangements organised by the council.

In the instance where a parent/guardian, or an identified person, has been approved for a personal transport budget, £0.45 per mile allowances will be provided:

A maximum of 4 journeys can be applied for per day. The mileage distance is measured from a student’s home address to the school address using the shortest available route on an independent online route planner.

For example, if a student mileage distance is 5 miles, Personal transport budget will be calculated as follows:

Miles per journey (home-school)

5 miles

Trips per day granted


Allowance per mile


Personal Transport Budget per day


Personal transport budget will be paid even when the student has to leave school early for any reason, however will only be paid for the miles calculated from home to school and vice versa. Also, there are certain instances where the above calculation may not be suitable. In these instances, a representative of CAD Transport will have discussions with parents/guardians and agree the appropriate personal transport budget to meet the child’s transport needs. The Council will collect proof of the student’s attendance at school/college before making payments, and personal transport budget cannot be claimed for journeys made outside of the agreed allowance.

Personal Transport Budgets can be used for any non-Council provided transport service. This means for, example, a public transport bus pass, commercially-provided closed school bus pass, a rail pass, etc.

There are several ways that Personal Transport Budget could be used, including:

  • To pay for fuel and/or the cost of running a family vehicle that is used to transport a student to school.
  • To pay towards the cost of booking a taxi or sharing a taxi with other students.
  • To pay for another person to take or transport the student.
  • To pay for another person to take a sibling to school to free a parent/guardian up to transport the student.
  • To pay towards the cost of breakfast clubs or after school clubs, allowing the parent/guardian to transport the student.
  • To pay towards the cost of travel passes for other children in the family so that they can travel to and from school, allowing the parent/guardian to transport the student.
  • To pay for a travel pass for the student.
  • To pay for childcare for another child to allow a parent/guardian to take the student to school.
  • To join up transport options with other parents (e.g. car share), thereby encouraging a sense of community.

Conditions for using Personal Transport Budget

Parents/guardians are responsible for any private arrangements they have to make to ensure that their children attend school. Therefore, parents/guardians must comply with all relevant regulations and laws regarding Employment Law, Health and Safety regulations, Taxation laws, or any other legislation relevant to their personal circumstances. It is good practice for parents/guardians to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks such as ensuring that the person employed as part of making a private transport arrangement have a current Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) certificates or arrange for those checks if the person employed does not have one.

In situations where parents/guardians choose to use Personal Transport Budget to enter into a contractual agreement with organisations e.g. breakfast clubs, or individuals, parents/guardians would be responsible for compliance with the terms and conditions of such contracts.

Personal Transport Budget can only be used for home to school private travel arrangements. Personal Transport Budget cannot be used for any other purposes that does not support school attendance of the student.

Students with Education, Health and Care Plan, and living within the local area of Havering Council may apply for Personal Transport Budget due to the following:

  1. The impact of the student’s special educational needs and disabilities on their ability to travel safely independently or with supervision
    1. If the student has temporary medical or mobility needs which mean they cannot reasonably be expected to travel safely independently or with supervision to school, and there is relevant supporting medical evidence (see appendix for details point 1.4 on Havering Transport policy)
    2. If the student has long-term medical or mobility needs which mean they cannot reasonably be expected to walk to school, and there is relevant supporting medical evidence (see appendix for details point 1.4 on Havering Transport policy)
    3. If the distance between the school and the home exceeds the statutory walking distance for a student that age and no suitable arrangement can be a made for a school closer to home (see appendix for details point 1.5 on Havering Transport policy)
    4. If the family is on low income and the distance between the school and the home exceeds the statutory walking distances (see appendix for details point 1.5 on Havering Transport policy)
    5. The assessed safety and nature of the route between the school and the home and the alternative routes available (see appendix for details point 1.6 on Havering Transport policy)
    6. Parent/guardian medical or mobility needs which mean they cannot reasonably be expected to transport the student to school, when the student cannot transport themselves, with relevant supporting medical evidence (see appendix for details point 1.4 on Havering Transport policy)

Transport and mobility equipment from Motability

The Motability Scheme provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance. The Scheme is operated by Motability Operations Ltd, under contract to Motability, a registered Charity.

Find out more on the Motability website.

Taxi Card Scheme

The Taxicard scheme allows people with disabilities to use black cabs at reduced fares. To apply, you must be unable to use public transport because of a permanent disability. ​

The Taxicard scheme provides transport for those who are chronically disabled so they can make social trips out. It cannot be used to provide transport for hospital or clinic appointments.

Who is eligible​?

To join the scheme you must: 

  • be able to use ordinary black taxis 
  • have access to a telephone or have internet access (to book taxis) 
  • be resident in one of the participating London boroughs

To be eligible, you must have one of the following.

  • receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living allowance
  • receive 8 points or more for the moving around activity component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment)
  • be registered severely sight impaired / blind
  • receive a War Pension Mobility Supplement

If you do not have any of the above, but have significant difficulties, you can still apply for the Taxicard, but your application form will be assessed by us to check the eligibility. The scheme is not available to people who suffer from temporary disabilities such as a broken leg.

For further information on eligibility visit the London Taxicard scheme website.

Apply for a Taxi Card

To make an application, you must:

If you already have a Freedom Pass

You can surrender your Freedom Pass and use the Taxicard only for 104 trips a year or keep your Freedom Pass and get a maximum of 36 Taxicard trips

Oyster Photocards from TfL

Transport for London (TfL) provides free or discounted travel on London’s buses, tubes, DLR, Overground and National Rail services for children and young people aged 5-16, students over the age of 16 and apprentices over the age of 18 via an Oyster photocard. You have to be a resident in a London Borough to qualify for free travel via an Oyster photocard.

Apply for an Oyster photocard via the TfL website.

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme helps you to park closer to your destination if you're disabled. Sometimes known as disabled parking permits, it can be used throughout the UK and while travelling abroad within the European Union (EU) and in some other European countries.

How to apply

  1. Before applying for or renewing a Blue Badge please read the guidance notes.

Read the Blue Badge guidance notes.

Please note if you are renewing, please apply 6-8 weeks prior to your existing badge expiring to make sure your new badge reaches you in time if approved.

  1. Click on the link to 'Apply for or renew a Blue Badge' below to be taken to the GOV.UK website.
  2. Make a note of the things you'll need before applying from the list on the GOV.UK page.
  3. Click on the green 'Start now' button.
  4. You'll be asked to check your eligibility and answer questions about your disability as you fill in the application form.
  5. Once filled in your details will be sent to us to process.
  6. You will be asked to send us all the documents stated in your application within 14 days of filling in the form. Please note your application will not be completed until we have received your certified copy documents which you can either email to or post to: Blue Badges, Town Hall, Main Road, Romford RM1 3BB
  7. You will also get a tracking code sent to you so you can see the progress of your application. Go to the GOV.UK tracking page to enter your code to track your application.
  8. Once we have your documents we will make contact with you about the next steps to take including payment.

Apply for or renew a Blue Badge.

Using your Blue Badge

For full details about the rules and responsibilities of Blue Badge holders, including displaying your badge and details about where you can park, please read our rights and responsibilities leaflet.

Lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badge

If your existing blue badge has either been lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to apply online for a replacement blue badge.

Replace a lost or stolen Blue Badge.

Need to change your Blue Badge details?

You can report a change of name, address, contact details or any other details relating to information held by your local authority in relation to you or the badge that has been issued to you.

Change details on a Blue Badge.

Give Us Your Feedback

A - Z of Services